Leaving my chickens - in or out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by leight54, Mar 28, 2011.

1. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm new to this board, and so new to owning chickens that I don't even have any yet. But I have 3 on order, due to hatch late April. I'm full of questions, but the most burning one is about leaving my hens when I go away.

I think I can get someone (my cat-sitter) to check on them and feed/water them when necessary. But she will only be coming in once a day. Ideally, I'd like them to be let out into the run during the day, and tucked back in at night.

Let me describe my set-up: I live in town, but with a large, fenced in yard. There is a playhouse near the back of the yard that is just screaming "hen house"! It's 4' x 6', and tall enough to walk in (once you get through the child-size door) and has 3 windows. It is elevated on posts, about 3 1/2 feet off the ground.

I plan to enclose the underneath part in hardware cloth, extending it below the ground, and aproning it out. There will be a trapdoor in the floor of the hen house, with a ramp. I will eventually have a bigger run extending out from there, but while I'm away for 2 1/2 weeks, they will only use the small run under the house. They will only be 2 months old when I go, so eggs won't be a factor.

My question(s): Should I leave the trapdoor open, day and night, so they can go in and out at will? Will they go in at night on their own (at 2 months)? Or would it be better to leave them in the hen house the whole time? (They will have about 8 sq. feet each.)

Thanks! Sorry for the length of this post!

2. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
  3. leight54

Wouldn't that be a great LUXURY, to have an automatic door! Unfortunately, it's not in the budget. [​IMG] That's more than I'll have spent on the entire coop!

Thanks, though!

4. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Will coons really get through hardware cloth that's buried below the ground?

5. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Probably not. I was thinking about coons climbing the fence and dropping down.

6. leight54

Yes, we do have raccoons and possums come into the yard. But I plan to make the actual coop predator-proof, if there is such a thing. Hardware cloth on the windows and door, and as I said around the lower level and into the ground. I'll research the best latch to get for the door, as well.

7. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
  8. leight54

Thanks! Maybe 2 latches would be even better! I haven't even met my chickies yet, and I'm already getting very protective of them. Like a mother hen! [​IMG]

9. Thatchickenguy

Thatchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    If u have a nice size rooster then u can leave everything open and stuff he'll protect the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by