Leaving my chicks for the weekend!!!

folgerrd

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Canada
I am going to my dad's this weekend and I will have to leave them behind. Normally I only leave them for a few hours at a time and either Maya or my mom are home, and they know how to care for them. This time it'll be my step-dad because Maya is coming with and mom is working at least two of the three days!!!! He has no idea how to safely hold or care for them. How fragile they are or anything! I could leave him my Chicken Whisperers book, but he'd never bother to look at it. I am thinking of leaving him a list of to-dos. But I want your opinions how should I go about making sure it's all done?

When I leave my dogs and chickens in the care of a house/pet sitter, I always leave a clear list of what needs to be done. I think it's a kindness for the person that is taking on the responsibility.

I know it seems scary to leave the babies for the 1st time. I fretted over it the 1st time. I keep my chicks in a 40 foot long covered chicken run/pen that is about 10 feet wide. It has plenty of shade in it along with a fairly large house with 2 heating lamps to use during the cold days.

Each time Ive left them in there alone for a weekend they were fine. I am a civil war re-enactor which means we are often gone for the entire weekend.

I leave one of those large waterers with them. I aslo throw extra grit in there.

Then I leave a ton of chicken feed inside their house so the rain cant ruin it. I also throw lots of greens that I pick in there. Then I throw any left overs from the fridge in there since we wont be able to eat due to being gone. The babies love scratching around in scraps like that. Just to be on the safe side I leave them way toooo much food and water. When we get home on Sunday afternoons there is always plenty of food and water still left.

So even though new hatchlings are so tiny and fragile they can survive rather well if given the right thigns like water, feed, grit, warmth and protection from preditors and the weather.

We're leaving ours for the first time this upcoming weekend. They're still in the brooder. I'm lucky to have a friend nearby who has volunteered. I gave him a house key and showed them where the chick food is. We'll be gone Friday morning returning Sunday afternoon. As long as they're looked after at least once I'll be happy. I'm not too worried about anything other than food or water (routines, treats, etc).

I will leave extra food and water too.

ETA good luck to you! I'm sure everything will be fine.
smile.png

Last edited:
You can always give him a call to see how things are going.

I always leave a list of what needs to be done. Leave a morning list and an evening list. Don't make long or complicated, keep it simple.

I have the ACV water container marked and with the food, easy to find. and written instructions. hopefully all turns out well.

How did it go? I left mine for awhile and they were all alive when I got home.
Well, my mom had to prompt him the first time(she was there a little) then he got the hang of it. Or at least I hope he has because I am going away this weekend as well.

Back
Top Bottom