LEAVING ON VACATION-PLEASE HELP--SUSPECTED COCCI--UPDATE FR PREV POST!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Penske, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    i HAVE POSTED OVER THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS ABOUT MY CUCKOO MARAN WITH WATERY DIARREAH.

YESTERDAY, IT WAS THICKER AND CARMEL COLORED.

THIS MORNING I SAW TWO SPLATS ON POO ON THE ROOST AND I TOOK A PIC (WILL POST WHEN UPLOADED)

LOOKS LIKE THE HAMBURGER POO FROM THE ARTICLE SPECKLED DIRECTED SOMEONE TO ABOUT COCCI.

AS OF 7 AM THIS MORNING, I REMOVED MEDICATED FEED AND REPLACED WITH THEIR GROWER CRUMBLETS (POULIN GRAIN). I REMOVED BOTH WATERERS WITH AVIA CHARGE 2000 AND REPLACED WITH PLAIN CLEAN WATER.

WHEN SHOULD I ADD THE SULMET? THEY HAD THE MEDICATED CHICK STARTER FOR 2 1/2 DAYS AND THE AVIA CHARGE FOR THE SAME TIME.

OTHER THAN THAT, THEY HAVE NEVER HAD MEDICATED FEED.
    THEY ARE 13 WEEKS OLD--HAVE HAD ACCESS TO THE RUN FOR THE PAST 6 WEEKS.

THE COCCI COULD VERY WELL BE IN THE SOIL AS WE HAVE HAD FERAL CATS FOR 20 YEARS (THAT WE CARE FOR--SPAY/NEUTER, FEED,ETC.)

[​IMG]

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
    Lisa

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If it looks a bit like hamburger, they certainly could have cocci or worms. I'd suspect cocci first. Yes, it's all over the place. I have lots of it in my soil along with staff, which keeps me on my toes when I have a boatload of chicks in the nursery. Yes, I'd treat with Sulmet. It's liquid, goes in a gallon waterer at 2 Tablespoons per gallon for two days then 1 Tbsp for 4 days (per bottle instructions), however a knowledgable person told me to ignore those instructions and keep them on it for 2 weeks instead. While on that, they should eat some plain, active culture yogurt every day to keep their digestive tract 'in sync'. Medicated feed only helps resistance, but does not cure cocci if it's an active case. You dont want to worm them at the same time you have them on Sulmet (or Corid, which is concentrated Amprolium). To expel worms, try a natural wormer while they are on Sulmet, like buttermilk and chopped unsalted pumpkin seeds. That wont hurt them at all.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I would treat them for cocci, since it could kill immediately. I would use corrid. In a month I would treat them for worms using wazine or safe-guard (fenbendazole) for dogs.
    I could never find medicated starter so I mix powdered milk with non-medicated starter...no cocci.
    A vet could tell you what you're dealing with if you take a fresh stool sample in. Think its $10 or so.

4. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    The vets are not being cooperative this weekend...I would have done a sample, but...

I just put the Sulmet in the water. Two waterers (one out,one in) each with 1 gallon of water in them. I put 2 TBS in each one.

Tomorrow, I'll get buttermilk and pumpkin seeds. Then I'll pray that all goes well while we are away!

I'll let you know!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by