Leaving the chickens for a couple days...

FarmingCityGirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Michigan
We're going camping in a week or 2...and I'm worried about leaving the chickens. Every morning, I take food & water out to them. I get eggs out twice a day. So far, the most I've gotten in a day is 6...but we have 12 laying chickens and in a couple weeks we may be getting 12 eggs a day.

So if we leave for a few days, is it okay if I put a ton of food and water out...and are the eggs okay to just kind of build up till we get back? Would they be okay to eat after sitting out there for 2 full days...possibly 3? There might be a lot of eggs. We don't have any neighbors to come help out.

2 or 3 days you are fine with collecting the eggs upon your return. If you are gone longer than that then you can just toss the eggs. A couple of 2 gallon hanging water dispensers and water bowls around and you will be fine. The feed dispensers similar size are what I use and feed can easily last 3 days no problem.

I would say the same. We have two 5 gal water containers, as well as two feeders. If we are going to be gone for a few day, I clean really well, then fill water and food. We do usually have someone come get the eggs, as it seems all 10 layers seem to like the same 12x12 box! We have converted an old granary, so the chickens have two 8 ft x 16 ft rooms that are connected. Plenty of roosting room as well (7-8 ft off the floor).

Be sure your waterers are secure, that would be the big thing. I've often topped everything off and left for a few days. If it's really, really hot, like over a hundred degrees, you might want to toss the eggs if it's more than 2-3 days. Less than that, I'd eat them.

Back
Top Bottom