LED Christmas lights work!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amina, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Two weeks ago, I got a string of battery powered Christmas lights on a timer, and put them in my coop to encourage egg laying. I was not at all sure it would work, because Christmas lights in general aren't super bright, plus I have heard people say that the spectrum from LED lights is not ideal to encourage egg laying. But it worked great for me! I got my first egg in a couple months today!

Here is the product, in case some people without electricity in their coop are interested in it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Opera..._sim_hg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F89D7ARNT0DR4JP8R14

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Congrats!

How old are your layers?

3. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    About 1 1/2 years

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool and that's blue spectrum light too, red is supposed to be better I guess.

How long are the lights on each day and at what time?

5. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    So I know everyone says to have the lights on in the morning, but I have a rooster and don't want him crowing any earlier than he already does. None of my neighbors have complained and I'd like to keep it that way. I have it on in the evening, and the lights are dim enough that the chickens mostly stay on the roost the whole time, so it doesn't seem like a problem.

The lights are designed so that they stay on for 6 hours, and then turn on the following day the same time you turned them on the first day. Sunrise is around 7AM, so I have mine come on at 3PM, and they stay on til 9PM. So that's 14 hours of light per day. It adds a little less than 4 hours of daylight for them.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Interesting, but it sounds like the light is having it's effect on the pineal gland even tho the hens aren't active during the time it's on.

7. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Yep, that seems to be the case!

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My light is on in the evening as well, and the girls are always on the perch before it goes out. I use a 7W CFL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by