LED flashlights for candling at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CityGirlintheCountry, May 6, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Just to share with you all-
    I just got a set of three LED flashlights from Home Depot ($9.99 in TN). They are perfect for candling- small and compact and just the right size for the end of the egg. The ones at my HD were orange, green and glow-in-the-dark in each package and it comes with batteries for all three. Worked like a charm last night! The LED bulbs generate no heat so you don't have to worry about frying the embryo.
    (I have no ties to Home Depot other than I seem to be in there all the time. I just saw these and thought you all might want to check them out.)

Let me just say that candling is about the coolest thing I have ever done. My eggs are only on day 5 so I was early (but I wanted to check the flashlights). I have veins everywhere. IT IS SO COOL!!!!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's cool! I just got an LED flashlight from walmart for $6. I can even see all the way through some goose eggs, which I wasn't able to before! Sadly, my new flashlight confirms what I have suspected, that none of the goose eggs had developed [​IMG] I have been thinking that for a while, but was hoping I was wrong [​IMG]

The one I got was at the checkout counter, and has 9 LED lights in the end of it. The local feed store has the same lights for sale for twice as much!! [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yeah, I was pretty pumped. Especially since it was three for that price. I'm always losing the darn things so it's nice to have extras. These have 9 white LEDs inside. They are amazingly bright. AND they run off of AAA batteries. Whoohoo!

So sorry about your goose eggs. That's sad. [​IMG] I think three of the chicken eggs perking along in there are duds. I'm waiting until day 10 to make decisions on who stays and who goes. It was pretty cool though seeing the veins. Like National Geographic in my kitchen!

4. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    my brother collects flashlights.. and Ive learned the LED's all deffa work better!

5. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i have one that doesnt take batteries [​IMG] it plugs into the wall

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Yeah, mine takes the AAA batteries too. And has the 9 LED bulbs. The darn thing was clicked on when I put the batteries in, almost blinded me for LIFE!!! [​IMG] Luckily, the primary damage was minimal [​IMG] and I think I'll live. [​IMG]

My problem is my 4 y/o. He is into the flashlight stage, so none of them are safe! First, he plays with them so much that the batteries die, then he drops them half a million times on the floor until they just don't work right anymore [​IMG] Wish I could do that with his things, I'd have a tantrum on my hands for sure!

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I am going to go check these out but they better darn well NOT be good enough to check dark brown eggs! [​IMG]

I just spent $50 for one of the Brinsea High-Intensity Egg Lume lights. Got in it the mail just yesterday. Works like a charm but it better be a lot better than those HD flashlights! [​IMG]

God Bless,

8. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Quote:lol.. I would hope so!!

Try an LED light if you have one, and let us know what you think!

9. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I tried it out on my welsummer eggs and could kinda see. I'll try it again tonight and let you know. It's pretty stinkin' bright.
    [​IMG]

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I had to go to WalMart tonight for a couple of things and stopped in at Home Depot to look for those flashlights. I didn't see what you are talking about.

Can you post a pic for us?

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by