1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

LED rope light?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by suburbiamama, Nov 4, 2009.

1. suburbiamama

suburbiamama In the Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Has anyone used this for their winter light source? Does the light need to be incandescent or will LED work? Seems like a safe, energy-efficient way to light the coop for the winter...We're down to 1 egg/day w/ 8 hens (though 3 are moulting as well) so time to add a some early-AM light...Thanks!

2. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    oooh! What a neat Idea!! I'm going to be watching this post for opinions on this one!

3. suburbiamama

suburbiamama In the Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Thanks, one of those middle-of-the-night thoughts that may or may not actually be a good idea [​IMG] I figured it could be a moderate heat source as well...hopefully someone has tried this already, it's getting chilly and dark here in Connecticut!

4. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Ohh, what a neat idea! [​IMG] I have some rope lights stuck away with Christmas stuff, I need to go try it out!

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    i got some patio table round ball like lights on a wire (ment to be put around the umbrella on a patio set) that I intend to use I figure the 8 little lights would cover more of an area than one regular light. havent put it up yet though...

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Ahhh it will look so pretty!!! What a fun idea.

7. gsim

gsim Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Inexpensive under-cabinet lights could be another safe way to do it, using a timer. Also good to have an east-facing window for egg production year-round.

8. huck

huck In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Maryland
    I put a little battery powered LED light in the coop... but have been wondering if it'll do the trick or if I need another kinda light. I'll be watching here for more detailed answers....

9. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

LED lights WILL NOT give any heat. That is one of the + things about LED. I am not sure if they would be a sufficient light source but I think you need something that produces light that is close to the spectrum of "natural" light, more of a UV type for the most benefit. Just IMHO.

10. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I would not use a led type light for all of the light but if they are still getting regular daylight I dont think it would hurt for those few lost hours to be filled in with an led. I would not however use one for my chooks in the garage (or ones in a bard or that type of thing) for those animals I use a natural spectrum light like the grow lights to mimic the sun better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by