Left Behind Silkie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pixiechick, Jun 4, 2008.

1. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    My little silkie is getting left behind by the other 4 chickens I have. They are all from the same order (8 wks. old), but they are different breeds. She can't follow them when they go in the hen house because she can't fly and she hasn't figured the ramp out yet. She has to wait for me to come out and set her on the roost. So, should I get one more little silkie (if I can find one) to hang out with her or wait for her to grow big enough to make it in the house on her own?

"Pick me up, Mommy," says Buffy.
    [​IMG]

2. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Awwwwwwww! She's so cute!!!!!!! I think she needs a friend of her own kind [​IMG]

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    As a tip for the ramp issue.

My silkies didn't get the ramp either for a while after I put their coop up on stilts.

My solution was 2 fold - first I added more 'rungs' to the ramp. The ones I had were too far apart and they couldn't go between them with their cute little fuzzy 5 toed legs.

2nd my DD's job for a few nights was to literally walk them up the ramp - put them at the bottom and nudge them up a rung at a time until they had walked up on their own.

About 3-4 nights of this and finally one or two got the idea and then they all would follow.

And, of course ANY excuse to get more chickens will work - uh, yeah....my silkie was LONELY and getting LEFT OUT....so I needed to order 10-20 MORE to keep her company....

I've use lamer excuses to increase my flock... [​IMG]

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I hear that Ideal has some older silkies they need to get rid of- in batches of 100.

5. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    So far, Buffy has not appreciated the evening ramp lessons. She definately prefers using me as an elevator! I've thought about stapling some screen cloth to the ramp to give it more traction.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    These Silkies are such little guys compared to the other chicks, you really need several to make a whole chicken! I have 5 under 2 hens that stay together and 2 in a brooder box.
    If it weren't for us having our AC so low, my two abandoned black Silkie chicks would be in the house with me. They sure are people oriented!
    Yeah, you need more Silkies![​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by