Left for dead on my door

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sylverfly, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Someone dropped three tiny chicks off at my house today. They were left on my porch in a plastic grocery bag…not even a box… a plastic bag loosely tied shut. They were all cold but one had its eye tightly closed I used a warm damp paper towel to wipe the eye and white goo came out the eye is now open and looking clear. Was its eye just like that because it was cold? And what breed are these chicks? They all look the same but each one is colored a little differently. I made a makeshift brooder and they are doing much better but they seem to be peeping rather loudly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Silkie or silkie-mix chicks! [​IMG]

Congrats!!!

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I agree, they are definately silkie something or anothers.

4. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    awwwwwwww...poor babies! What kind of jerk would put them in a plastic bag? At least you have an excuse for more chicks- and cute chicks! Congrats on the silkies!

5. WhitehartRabbitry

WhitehartRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Ohio
    White goop coming out means it probably has an eye infection. I would keep it clean and keep an eye on it.

And I agree- Silkie/Silkie x chicks.

6. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    They are cuties! Peeping loudly usually means they are cold. If you put a gallon of hot water wrapped in a towel into the brooder, they may snuggle up to it & stop peeping. Or if you have a heat lamp, that could help too.

7. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    Those chicks were blessed to be dropped on your door step.

8. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    How in the world could people be so cruel. I guess it could have been worse. Thanks for taking care of those babies. Hope they turn out beautiful for you.

9. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    What the.....how can some people be so.....grrrrr........

At least they are in good hands with you! Congrats on your new babies!!! [​IMG]

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] for the chicks for "landing" on your doorstep. I am so glad they did not freeze to death.

Poor little peeps...................what is wrong with some people [​IMG]

For the peeping, besides your heat check, my indoor chicks love a stuffed animal that they can cuddle with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by