*Left for the day...food??*

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone....well today I went to the State Fair and saw some GORGEOUS chickens! Wish I couldve bought some but decided I would hold off until chicks are grown... [​IMG]

Anyways! Our family left this morning when it was dark and I didnt have time to feed the big hens.....they probably had a little food from yesterday but not much. Do you think their okay?

I feel reallllyyyy bad! [​IMG]
  2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think they'll starve. But I'm curious-why do you only feed them a day's worth at a time? We fill a 30# feeder and when it's almost empty, we fill it again. They eat whenever they want.
  3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They'll be fine. Lots of folks ration or daily feed. Lots of reasons to do so. But the OP was asking a different question. Yes, they'll be mad, but fine. In the future, if you know you're gonna be gone, perhaps putting out a second portion, using a spare feeder or just a garbage can lid will even suffice. Extra or filled waterers too![​IMG]
  5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Nobody died from missing a meal.

My kids have learned this lesson the hard way (kinda stinks to wake up to last nights plate of uneaten peas, but it won't kill em [​IMG]).

Get a bigger feeder. If it's sheltered from the weather, the feed will be fine for days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by