*Left for the day...food??*

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone....well today I went to the State Fair and saw some GORGEOUS chickens! Wish I couldve bought some but decided I would hold off until chicks are grown... [​IMG]

Anyways! Our family left this morning when it was dark and I didnt have time to feed the big hens.....they probably had a little food from yesterday but not much. Do you think their okay?

I feel reallllyyyy bad! [​IMG]

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think they'll starve. But I'm curious-why do you only feed them a day's worth at a time? We fill a 30# feeder and when it's almost empty, we fill it again. They eat whenever they want.

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:X2

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They'll be fine. Lots of folks ration or daily feed. Lots of reasons to do so. But the OP was asking a different question. Yes, they'll be mad, but fine. In the future, if you know you're gonna be gone, perhaps putting out a second portion, using a spare feeder or just a garbage can lid will even suffice. Extra or filled waterers too![​IMG]

5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Nobody died from missing a meal.

My kids have learned this lesson the hard way (kinda stinks to wake up to last nights plate of uneaten peas, but it won't kill em [​IMG]).

Get a bigger feeder. If it's sheltered from the weather, the feed will be fine for days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by