1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

left over fence pieces for roof shingles?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cluck-cluck, Oct 5, 2012.

1. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a TON of end pieces of fencing, 5.5" X 12" that's redwood, and I was wondering if I could use it as roof shingles? They're not thinner on one end or anything, they're 3/4" thick blocks. Has anyone ever tried using these things?

It probably wouldn't work, but had to ask [​IMG]

2. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    We thought about buying new cedar shake for our coop roof, but seeing as we were trying to do the entire thing with reused materials, and didn't want to spend $200+ on new ones... So we found an old fence that someone was giving away (weathered cedar) and cut the sections to about 18 inches. There is a bit of extra gap under them, but it's been fine so far. Just make sure you put the roofing felt under them.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I think it would be a LOT of work, and take a LOT of fasteners, to only end up with a roof that leaks

4. cluck-cluck

I just realized, I live in a fire hazard zone, so I probably shouldn't even do it, LOL. I saved them all because, well, it just seemed like a waste to throw them all away! LOL

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I'd use them to build birdhouses and feeders and put a metal roof on the coop

6. cluck-cluck

Birdhouses! What a perfect idea! Thanks :D

7. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I had a bunch of random width board ends that are similar to your fence lumber, I made planter boxes with them (to cover pots not use to hold soil)

My next project with them will be a water system cover box-no details yet cause I am working on the plans.

8. cluck-cluck

Another great idea! Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by