left over food question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kimberley848, Jan 13, 2014.

1. kimberley848

kimberley848 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    So. Cal
    I've been reading here on about everything as I'm a couple weeks out before picking up my first hens and I'm now getting hit with different "opinions" on what can be fed.... I've read that you don't feed garlic or onions to chickens, but a friend of mine added no potatoes to this list? Is this correct? I'd rather have your opinions since this friend tends to lose more of her farm animals to her dogs and lack of knowledge than anything else, and it makes me cringe everytime I hear another animal died. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. jonsccm

jonsccm Chillin' With My Peeps

They say not to feed them a lot of things. And there is probably a good reason for it. But that being said. Growing up ALL the table scraps went to the chickens! Even potato peals and onion peals and everything else! We never had a problem. But we did have a mixed grain and pellet feed always availible so the scraps were not the main sorce of food. Our chickens laid great and were happy. I think chickens are smarter then we think, they know what they should eat.
    But as an experiment I do not feed my hens everything now. I give them a good layer mash and select table scraps. I don't give them anything on the bad list, now they act the same as before happy and perky but I do think that they are looking shinier and feathered out better.
    You most likely will not kill your chickens by feeding them the bad stuff. And they will still give you eggs and meat. But you will notice a difference by taking pride in your chickens and feeding them what's best. And letting them free range if you have the space. I have heard not to feed them meat also but my girls are better mousers then cats! The other day I watched a hen swallow a mouse whole! I have no idea how she did not choke on it but she was verry satisfied with herself afterward! Lol!
    The point being that we would be shocked with what a free range chicken eats. I don't think we need to stress about it.

3. kimberley848

Jan 8, 2014
    So. Cal
    We went to the breeder I was planning to buy our chickens from and after talking to him, we're also planning to pick up feed from him as well, since he carries a natural/organic brand that we were planning to continure feeding. (He has a very nice set up, clean, organized and all his flocks look happy and healthy. All his birds he sells are all innoculated as well). So I was planning to make sure their main food source is the layer feed, with scratch and other stuff as treats, along with table scraps. The coop we bought is a small pre-fab, about 32sf, but the larger garden area we're putting together is over 275sf. & they'll have run of the larger area during the day.
    I just wanted to make sure I was aware of everything or most everything on the bad list, and I hadn't heard about potaoes before.
    Wow, didn't know they were rodent killers too, lol.... course any rodents trying to get in at my house, still have to get past the dog and 2 cats, lol...
    Thanks for the information! I'm very excited about geting my own chickens!

4. jonsccm

jonsccm Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like you are going to have a great start! Learn as much as you can but don't stress about it. Chickens are in my opinion one of the easiest animals to have. They mostly take care of themselves. I grew up with chickens being a main sorce of food for my family. But I was taught that even if you plan to butcher them you should always feed them and treat them the best you can. And get to know them each. Be kind to them help them trust you and they will tell you what they need. Kinda cheesy but I've found it to be true.
    Get excited! Your gonna do great!

5. kimberley848

Jan 8, 2014
    So. Cal
    Thanks so much for the wonderful words.... I'm doing my best to not stress over everything, I figure the more I learn beforehand, the easier I'll feel about it. As a teen, one of my chores were chickens (less than a year with that family), but it was great, I fell in love with the idea of having my own chickens. We're only going to raise them for eggs (can have 4 hens in my city), and as eggs are for eating, we want to make sure our hens have the best and are happy and healthy. [​IMG]

6. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    agreed. I have always just thrown my table scraps to my birds. No matter what it is. I figured if they don't like it, it will decompose eventually. They love meat scraps and I do have a couple hens that are pretty darn good mousers. they always have layer feed available, so the scraps are not the only source of food. Chickens have always been something that I have enjoyed and I hope that you enjoy yours as well! Have fun with them and don't fret if some potato peels get thrown out accidentally. Everything will be okay!

7. kimberley848

Jan 8, 2014
    So. Cal
    That's what I'm learning......lol, thanks! I'm still a little up in the air about feeding them left over meat... it just sounds wrong to me, lol, but then if they're catching/eating rodents, well, meat doesn't sound so bad.

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I like you kim, so please do me a favor. DO NOT LAYDOWN AND GO TO SLEEP IN YOUR CHICKEN COOP. [​IMG] You will not survive the experience. Chickens love meat that well.

I too do not like to feed left over meat to chickens. Raw meat is much better for them.

9. kimberley848

Jan 8, 2014
    So. Cal
    lol, Thanks for that tip, good to know, although I'm not too sure I was planning any sleep overs with the girls. I guess at this point, I will probably will give them some meat, and this just reminds me to keep reading, learning and listening as I go forward with raising some chickens. Thanks! [​IMG]

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Your welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by