1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

left over parrot food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by duckynewbie, Mar 6, 2016.

1. duckynewbie

duckynewbie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2016
    Can I give my chickens the left over food from my parrots? It consist seeds, nuts & dried fruit and veggies. Probably not many nuts after my parrots get through with it. TIA

2. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    Sounds like it'll make a tasty treat for your chickens.

Curious to know if your parrots are eating only nuts.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. duckynewbie

Jan 18, 2016
    I was thinking it would make a tasty treat for them too.

As for my parrots, they eat a little bit of everything after they eat the nuts. The nuts are the fav so they eat them first. One of them doesn't like the little seeds & leaves them & the other loves the smaller stuff.

4. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    I would be very concerned about the "used food" (and droppings) spreading diseases.... am I wrong?

5. dorie&gary

dorie&gary New Egg

Jul 22, 2010
    W
    when my sister stayed with us with her large group of parrots she would give all my chickens her left over feed every other day. My birds did very well on it and now I buy it now and then for them. Not one ever got sick but she would not includ the heavy droppings but there was some poop mixed in.

6. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    My DW brought home leftover feed from her Mom's cockatiels (sp?) but I asked her to toss it out for the wild birds, not our chickens. (There was bird flu all over at the time.) Perhaps I just worry too much, but I really care about my birds.

7. duckynewbie

Jan 18, 2016
    My birds never poop in their bowls so droppings wouldn't be thrown to the chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by