left the big city for a mini farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minifarm101, Feb 16, 2015.

1. minifarm101

minifarm101 New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    hello,
    im a 26yr old mother of 4,- 8,3,2,1 (dont laugh bit close together i know).
    we decided to leave the hustle an bustle of daily life behind an move to the most rural but beatiful west wales for a new life an a go at being back yard farmers. we ave a single square acre (more than enough for us).
    and in 7months have filled it with 28 chickens an 2 roos- 12recues (small brown chooks, oneday ill figure out what they are) 16 bluebell crosses (as far as i know).
    i sooooo wanted buff orpingtons but in my hurry to get chickens i took the first that came up locally. i have 15 rabbits mainly for meat some pets, 5new zeland whites 3calis 4 cali xs 2dutch and a beveran. we also have 1 cat and 6 dogs, collie whippet, chinese crested powder puff, chinese crested hairy hairless, 2 pups thanks to collie whippet and chinese crested hairy hairless (one with fur and one without) and a jack x pom rescue.
    i home school my children and we recently decided to have a go at incubation, hatchday was yesterday a whopping 4/48quail made it! the majority of growers drowned at pipping :( 2quitters and 12emptys. i assume due to high humidity and my temps being 4degrees out may have hindered growth.
    so hatch number two in recalibrated incubator, on 4 days now is going to be an attempt at dry incubating. fingers crossed. hatch 3 has been set this morning too so 93 more eggs to try with, we have two incubators but i dont know what type they are either :/
    thanks to this forum we now know what to look for in our own eggs and soon as we notice a good run of fertile eggs we hope to incubate our own.

look forward to chatting with you all as we take our journey into home grown to a new level xx

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I predict you will soon be looking for more land.

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Wow you must be very busy with your children and all those animals! Flocks grow very quickly I know mine has without me really realising! Hope you have a better hatch this time with it all calibrated. Watching them hatch is fantastic and great for the children to watch how nature works.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new venture into home grown and raised.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. My wife and I home-schooled our children, and now our daughter is following suit with our granddaughter (pictured in my avatar). Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. Our granddaughter loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your mini farm.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined the BYC flock.

You must be very busy! Good luck with all your animals and chickens. If you have any questions, just ask! We'll be happy to help in any way we can.[​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by