K.Riggs

Songster
Aug 22, 2017
Hi,

I was cooling my day 13 Cayuga eggs today. I'd had a horrid day after a few sleepless nights with sick kids.

I forgot and left it off for a bit over an hour.

My incubator takes less that five minutes to get up to temp and humidity.

Will this be disasterous? I'm freaking out a bit :'(

Thank you:bow!! I quickly checked my most active embryo from my last candling and it wasn't moving but I assume they slow down when they cool. I will check a few tomorrow when I cool them again. I so hope they are ok :fl

Yes wait until tomorrow so they warm up co
Thank you:bow!! I quickly checked my most active embryo from my last candling and it wasn't moving but I assume they slow down when they cool. I will check a few tomorrow when I cool them again. I so hope they are ok :fl
I would wait until tomorrow and recheck them it will give them time to warm up again

As the previous posts indicate, they will be fine. Hens occasionally leave the nest for far longer periods of time.
I'm a little confused... I just started incubating -- on my 3rd batch. I have never heard of "cooling". I try to only lift my lid on candling days... everything I had read says not to let the temperature fluctuate. What am I missing?

I'm a little confused... I just started incubating -- on my 3rd batch. I have never heard of "cooling". I try to only lift my lid on candling days... everything I had read says not to let the temperature fluctuate. What am I missing?

Cooling mimics the hen's behavior of getting off the nest each day to eat, drink, and poop. The eggs are left to cool down for 15 minutes to a half hour each day. This can have a beneficial impact on hatch rates. I never do it for chicken eggs (haven't found that I need to), but I always do it for goose eggs.

I always cool my eggs, the hen gets off her nest to eat and stretch, so I follow that rule

Back
Top Bottom