Leftover Herbs as a Treat Any concerns?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DaviJones, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    I recently made a salad which included the fresh herbs parsley and mint and was wondering if that'd be a good treat. Neither herb is poisonous right? I'm kinda worried about the parsley. Thank you in advance!

They are 8-10 weeks old. Have grit(just small rocks that I found in the dirt, I live in a very rocky and sandy region) And of course they are being fed a balanced diet (Country Companion Chick Starter) and any crickets I or they catch.(In case any of this is influencial on answers)

2. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    Sorry I meant the herbs being a good treat, not the salad, that's already eaten:gig

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

All is fine...Have at her!

4. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    Thanks! Would you reccomend chopping the herbs first?

5. chickens really

You can or they will peck it and might swallow long strands..Chopping sounds good ...

6. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    Thank you again! Sorry, I always get concerned:D

7. chickens really

No problem....Enjoy those Birds!

8. Michael Propst

Michael Propst Songster

Sep 12, 2017
    De Soto, KS 66018
    You might find this page helpful. Herbs and Their Uses for Your Chickens' Health. Herbs are great for chickens, in fact in my research so far I have not read anything negative about any of them. If they are fresh herbs I would toss them in and let them go to town tearing them apart. I have actually created my own herb blend (dried) that is mixed with their regular daily feed. I also purchase all my feed from Scratch and Peck and they have a fabulous herb blend. Cluckin’ Good Organic Herbs

9. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    My sons chicks (9 weeks old) love pecking around in my herb garden. They eat the parsley and I think they like the thyme. They always smell so good after they have come out of the herb garden bc the herbs brush up against them as they are pecking around.

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Mine enjoy parsley a lot and steal it from my garden when they can. I don't bother chopping it though, I manually tear it up into smaller pieces and just toss it on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: