Leftover Turkey Breast and I wanna make soup

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by texaschickmama, Jan 31, 2008.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Can anyone give me some advice on what to do with this. I roasted a turkey breast and still have some left and the bones. Can I just boil that to get the stock then add celery, potatoes, onions, noodles, what else? [​IMG]

2. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Can anyone give me some advice on what to do with this. I roasted a turkey breast and still have some left and the bones. Can I just boil that to get the stock then add celery, potatoes, onions, noodles, what else

You got the idea, i just had thebest home grown Chicken soup ever, just tossed in peas, onion, corn, carrots and tiny little patas, looked great and tasted better.

My mom used to make turkey croquettes, and smothered them with cream sauce. You can get any recipe for that on the internet or go to any Betty Crocker cookbook, that is where she got it. Tastes just like the restaurant.
    If yu realloy are interested I will dig it up for you, no problem, just IM me ok?

[​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    That's exactly how I make mine Texaschickmamma!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:yup - boil (simmer not boil, if you care about avoiding cloudy broth) just the bones not the meat. You can also add any other frozen saved poultry bones you have, to make more/better stock (EVERYONE should save bones for stock, it's wasteful not to!).

If you care about avoiding cloudy broth you could also consider cooking your noodles separately then adding them at the end - I am much too lazy but it does give a slightly nicer *looking* result.

Add the meat itself only when the rest of the soup is mostly finished, so it doesnt get dry (yeah I know you wouldn't thnk meat could dry out in *soup* but trust me <g>).

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by