1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leg and beak color?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yyz0yyz0, Jun 2, 2016.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I have a bunch of chicks that were hatched by a broody hen. The adults we collected eggs from were White Orp's, Barred rocks and some red sexlinks, the rooster was a Wyandotte cross between a Gold laced hen and a BLR roo.

We've got 2 chicks that at 4wks old are Black with back legs/feet and beaks. Will these colors stay as they mature?

We assume that the black chicks came from the Barred rocks as well as the two gray chicks we have. But none of our chickens have black legs/beaks. do barred rocks have black chickens in their family tree?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    There are a few breeds that remain black in beak and leg color as adults, but most will lighten up as they get older, so you will have to wait and see. Mixing breeds can often bring out interesting color combinations which makes it fun to cross and see what you get.

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Will you please post a picture of these black chicks.
    I'd love to see them.
    Thx

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    x2

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
  6. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Sorry for the late pictures, just found these shots on my computer.

Here's the flock. the 3 whites and 1 red are cockerels, the blacks, gray and red/wht are pullets.
    [​IMG]

White cockerel
    [​IMG]

Notice the black beak and feet
    [​IMG]

This was turning out to be a nice looking roo, but all they've all gone to freezer camp by now.

[​IMG]

The black ones still have their black feet and beaks, I was just so surprised to see the almost all black birds from the barred rocks.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What was the roo? If he was not a white bird, those black birds are black sex links. I have bred several generations from EE roo x Dominique hen. Beautiful birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by