leg band emergency - bad parent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pbjmaker, Sep 7, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    long story short - when D'uccles were little they had legbands so I could tell them apart, but I took them all off a month ago as they started growing. Anyway - in all the feathers on their legs I missed one. I noticed yesterday that this particular bird was less active, but was eating drinking etc just fine. Kept up with the others but then would lay down. I was watching it today and noticed it had started limping - lo and behold - leg band is embedded.

How do I get it off? It is one of those plastic ones that clip on, but is pretty embedded. He still walks on that leg gingerly and there is still circulation to the foot but it is swollen.

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I had that problem. Straighten the band. Yes, it is best with 2 people.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh boy... scary! I almost did that myself with the little guys... there are so many feathers!

Can you see any of the band at all? You may have to have someone hold the bird so you can get in there with something fine to cut it. It's going to hurt, but if you can get it off now, there's a chance it will heal.

[​IMG] I've honestly not dealt with that... hopefully someone with more experience will pop on! Hang in there! (poor little guy... :aww)

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok got it off. I wrapped him in a towel then had my 14 year old help hold him still. We cut away a lot of the feathers, then used a box cutter with a new blade to score the band. I then took a pair of small needle nose pliers then wiggled it gently till it broke off. He sqwauked a few times but for the most part held still - I know it had to hurt. What is bad is that is the only time I have ever used bands - they just all looked so much alike when they were little.

Thank goodness for cheap chinese plastic...

I will keep an eye on the leg for awhile to see if the swelling goes down - any suggestions for that?

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Whoa! Good job with the "surgery." I know that must have been a touchy procedure. I wonder if cold packs would help ~ although a roo (or any chicken) might not enjoy this.

6. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Quote:Good job, glad to hear that!
    I have bands for mine also but have not used them.
    Scared I will forget one also.

No suggestions other then keep it clean and a keen eye on his leg.

Good luck;

7. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like the big scare is passed....good for you on your "operation." Lots of TLC and some bacitracin (sp?)...

I want to band mine, but this is why I am afraid to! [​IMG]

8. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I have a chick that has a similar injury- that was not banded! I think a hair or similar item got caught around his leg. It was fine on Friday when I cleaned the brooder- today it was limping.I checked to see why and -YUCK- legg all swollena nd a ring around it.I looked with a magnifying glass trying to see what it could be- I dug around with tweezers- managing to make it bleed a little- but found nothing.THe foot was swollen and discolored. I seperated it and it is looking better. I hope it recovers. I am watching it closely - took it out and cleaned and neosporin-ed it again.But it is strange that it was not banded.

9. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Quote:Glad you saw it! Good job keeping your eye on your chickens.
    I hope she gets better with no problems for Ya.

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]
    You did good!!! If it were me, I would maybe put a little non-pain-relief Neosporin or A&D ointment on it, just to help it heal. Maybe a band-aid for the first 24hours, then leave it open. [​IMG] The swelling should go down in time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by