Leg band numbers at shows?

Gallusfarm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Hi,

So I'm thinking about exhibiting at our state fair this year. I got the entry form, an they want leg band numbers... Well we don't use those (yet) as we have a tiny flock. Do you just use any number? So for my 1st entry, he'll be number 1? Sorry, I know this is a dumb question, but I just don't know.

If other exhibitors use the same number, how do the judges keep it all organized? Do you get an exhibitor number? Like if I was exhibitor 25, the 1st bird would be 25-1??

Thanks!!!

I or my kids haven't shown recently, but from what I can remember when I was younger, they HAVE to be banded for the show.

Last edited:
most likely they are looking for some type of permanent leg band. Numbers shouldn't matter. They are more than likely used just to identify the bird at the show. But it can also be used to insure that the specific bird that you check-in on show day is the same bird that you pre-registered and the number will also match any blood testing that may have been required. I would ask the show superintendant for specifics.

Definitely. You can also use the "color-code" system, at least, that's what I've used before without an issue.

I usually start with a letter than a number...for example:
Bl-1 Usually my blue cockerel
Bk-1 Usually my black cockerel

Then I count up for the hens. Or, if I wanna throw a wrench in my fun:
Bl-1-1 for the blue cockerel's "best" hen and so on.

The legbands are to identify birds, and all show entry forms I have seen ask for the band #. I have yet to find a show that actually requires them, as in not allowing a bird without a band. The one time they are most needed is on hens/pullets in a trio so that the judging between the hens/pullets is obvious. They can also be used in a case of disputed ownership, but that is not common, and many of the bands are not permanent.

Pigeon shows typically require permanent bands; poultry shows do not. The majority of folks use numbered bandettes; some use metal bands of one sort or anohter, and some use permanent plastic ABA bands.

My advice is to either leave the band # spaces blank or call the Show Superintendant and ask.

I just use a plasitic leg band....they don't even have a # on it. every generation gets a new color. and every roosters chicks get a new color. that is how I keep it all straight

Back
Top Bottom