Leg Band Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spowell, Oct 14, 2011.

1. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have several batches of eggs hatching around the same time and wanted to be able to identify them by breeder. That way if I have some exceptional Silkies come out, then I know which breeder I want to order from in the future. I have seen those spring leg bands and was wondering if they would be sufficient to use. What size would I need to start with? My first hatch is 18 Silkies that are almost 2 weeks old. I'm not interested in using wing bands. Any help on size or other suggestions would be appreciated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You can use different colored zip ties. It helps that there cheap since they need to be changed quite often!! Not sure about the others!!

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Those spiral spring ones for the chicks are dangerous. Just use the colored zip ties, and you can cut them as needed.

4. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Cool!! Great Idea, I would have never thought of that [​IMG] You guys here are so smart [​IMG]

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    We just learn from experience!

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    The leg band size for an adult Silkie is 9. I also recommend zip ties for chicks - they come in many colors, just keep an eye to make sure they are not too tight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by