Leg Band reminder!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chiknlady, Sep 2, 2008.

1. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Just a quick reminder--I had received some chicks which were sexed and therefore had colored legbands. I knew I needed to remove them--however I procrastinated. A week later their little legs were almost too big for the band...I was able to get them off with no problems--but this could have been ugly and painful for them. Please make sure to remove any bands in a timely manner...[​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They do grow very, very fast don't they?

3. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    You could try using small rubber bands. They will stretch alittle or rot away after a few weeks outside in the weather!

4. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Some of the 4- H kids (and their broilers) learned that lesson the hard way last year. Our poultry leader had the kids use colored zip ties so the kids could identify which chicks were theirs. Since the chicks had to be weighed each week and the kids were at the farm 2-3 other times a week for chick chores, the plan was to check the bands frequently and change them as needed. Needless to say, some of the kids didn't do this and there were a couple of chicks that ended up losing a foot. A couple others had legs/toes that became severly deformed. It was pretty sad [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by