1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg band show rules?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hoppy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    What are the rules regarding leg bands on show birds? does it very by show? I will be attending a APA/ ABA show and want to know if my birds can wear their custom bands (not stock bands off the shelf)

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:You have several options, such as teh permanent seamless bands offered by many breed clubs and the ABA and APA. I personally like the spiral numbered bands since you have to submit the band number on the entry form. This way if they break a feather or something the day before I can still take a bird of that sex and age with that band number, just transfer the band. In general so long as they are wearing a numbered band you should be fine.

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:You have several options, such as teh permanent seamless bands offered by many breed clubs and the ABA and APA. I personally like the spiral numbered bands since you have to submit the band number on the entry form. This way if they break a feather or something the day before I can still take a bird of that sex and age with that band number, just transfer the band. In general so long as they are wearing a numbered band you should be fine.

I was thinking more of a bejeweled leg band, would that be acceptable?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

I was thinking more of a bejeweled leg band, would that be acceptable?

I would leave it off.

Chris

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If easily noticed, the judge might comment on it, but there would not be a rule against it. Main purpose of bands is to distinguish between birds. That said, unless there is also some sort of fun costume contest, I agree with Chris that it's probably best to leave it off.

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    darn, I thought she'd look so snazzy in it.

7. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Save it for when you enter her in the county fair. [​IMG]

8. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    maybe I'll do it for my sale birds since they won't be in the show. I just felt I needed to make some bird jewerly after losing one of my favorite birds yesterday.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  9. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    pics...?

10. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I made 2 different ones and they both stretch.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by