Leg band size questions!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pheasant, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Pheasant

Pheasant Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    Hello everyone!!
    I am completely lost when it comes to leg band sizes! What is the best fitting leg band size for quail. I have a mountain quail that I would like to but a leg band on. Thank you for any suggestions!

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Colored zip ties are a lot easier and a lot cheaper if you arent producing too many birds.

3. MElric

MElric New Egg

Jun 9, 2015
    I bought some on amazon that were pretty inexpensive 100 8mm bands for $5.41. I have Jumbo Corturnix and they fit perfectly.
    I would suggest taking a string to measure their legs and hold it up to a ruler.

4. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    I found the plastic ones listed above fell off very easily. Not much good.

5. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    I use zip ties, I have gold ones to identify my girls... Not shiny shiny but it gives them a bit of flair lol I have a pen full of dark British range , tuxes and a lone white one so I keep some black ones out there to put on the boys as they are identified and gold for the girls. Zip ties come in lots of different colors which makes it easy to color code your birds.

6. yallapilko

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm interested how that works. Do you cut the end of the tie off? If so, does it leave a hard or blunt edge?

7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just clip the tail of the tie off even with the mechanical part of the tie that holds onto itself, if that makes sense. If you clip it on an angle you'll have a bird with a sharp weapon on it's foot so be careful to clip the tail off completely.

8. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    Also go ahead and put the end thru before trying to put it on the leg...they do not enjoy having it put on them and omitting the actual tieing part makes it quicker. I got puked on and pooped on by some very irritated birds while fumbling with the end of the tie . nail clippers work well for cutting off the extra bit too.

9. yallapilko

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks Halloweengirl13. That's a great tip. I had been thinking the ends of the ties would be like spurs! So, yes I'll clip them off at the ends. Thanks for the tip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by