leg banding-dos and don'ts

kitchenchick

Songster
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Upper East Tennessee
I've read on here about uisn zip ties on LF. Would anyone suggest doing this to keep up with generations of project birds? When would be the best time to band them without them outgrowing them and hurting thenselves?

I've seen the spiral bands- anyone want to chime in on them?

Thanks

I have used Both. The biggest drawback with sipties is they do not break. If your bird gets hung up on one, they will need rescuing and there is potential for injury. I have never had this problem. The spiral bands will come off it they get snagged...and that is a problem of it's own, but not a huge problem if you check your birds regularly and only one comes off at a time.

As for banding and size/age, I find that if I don't band them soon after hatch, I loose track of information I like to keep track of from hatch. Since my hatches never exceed double digits, I just change the bands as the chicks grow. Although zipties are not reusable, they are cheap.

I had purchased some brahmas from someone who used zip ties on the legs. I knew this wasn't a good idea and I thought I got them all off but, a few weeks later when the chicks had grown I noticed one of the chicks had a leg that was 4 times the size of her other leg. I found that the zip tie was put on her leg where I couldn't see for the leg feathers and where her leg had grown it had cut the circulation off on her leg. Me and my husband took small medical snippers and carefully removed the zip tie (which had grown into her leg) once removed it squirted blood everywhere and we bandaged it up with gauze and medical tape. Luckily she fully recovered within 2 weeks and walks great now. I say the zip ties are cruel especially on feather legged foul.

i would never use zip ties

no matter how well you cut the end off they can still become tightened and stop blood flow

i use clip on leg bands for my large fowl the 16MM are perfect

My prefference has always been wing bands for any bird after they are feathered. Wing bands are permanent and never get lost or snagged, and the bird doesn't outgrow them. They also don't get beat up like leg bands........Pop

The American Bantam Association sells seamless leg band in all sizes with the size, year and a serial number on each. I haven't purchased them yet, but plan to get some. We are temporarily using colored zip ties on our 3week old chicks in our living room brooder. We can easily tell them apart without having to pick each one up and examine their feathers. My daughter can quickly see the difference between the gold vs silver lace wyandottes because of their green vs orange blue. I have found this to be a quick, easy and inexpensive solution.

Back
Top Bottom