Leg banding questions!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Anabariful, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    My silkie chicks are 17 days old today and so I decided to start banding them for breeding and show purposes.

I use colored zip ties on the left leg to show which breeding stock they came from and left plenty of room for growth without too much for a concern with snagging. I will be closely monitoring them and swapping out with new bigger ties as needed.

On the right leg, I use the ABA leg bands in size G which was listed as bantam/Silkie size on the ABA website. My concern is that they might be too small when the chicks turn into adults. :S This is my first time banding so I'm a little nervous as I want to do it correctly and what's correct for the chicken's growth size. I compared the G band to one of my "juvenile" 4/5 month olds and the seems like it would fit but my silkies, like most, are heavily feather all the way down the shanks and I worry with the feathering, it might be too small?

Anyone use the American Bantam Association bands? Is G really the correct size? Should I size up to H? (I bought some H as a just in case). Also, can anyone confirm the ABA band size for LF English Orpingtons?

I will post some pictures of the chicks wearing the bands so everyone can see. :)

2. Fanci Feathers Marans

Fanci Feathers Marans Chicken Tender

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    Are they spiral bands?

3. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    No, they're a solid plastic closed band that you apply as a chick so they grow into it & it becomes permanent unless you cut it off.

Fanci Feathers Marans likes this.
  4. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    IMG_2848.JPG IMG_2849.JPG IMG_2846.JPG IMG_2847.JPG IMG_2845.JPG

5. Fanci Feathers Marans

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    I didn't know silkies had extra toes... huh.

Okay, well one thing you can do is check them every so often, pick one up and check. The roos especially.

A lot of the big breeders like to use wing bands.

My marans use a size 11

Anabariful likes this.
  6. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    Yes, they have 5 toes! Hah! :D

I will be doing frequent checks but just wasn't sure if another Silkie breeder could chime in & confirm that G was the correct size. Thank you though. :)

Size 11 in just the regular bandettes or in the ABA band?? Which band?

7. Fanci Feathers Marans

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    Oh. ABA, not APA. So you have bantys. Oops, nevermind. The sizing isn't the same...

Anabariful likes this.
  8. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    Yes, Bantam Silkies haha.. ;) .. I know that the sizing is weird. You'd think all bands were created equal but I've seen many different sizes and shapes, even for the similar looking bands. :(

9. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    On a different note, does the APA sell bands??

10. Fanci Feathers Marans

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    Not that I know, but I haven't been on their site much, either. I may have a similar problem soon. I need to tell chicks apart as they hatch...

How many silkies do you have?

Anabariful likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: