leg banding- size?

sammit

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
i have a mix of standard size and jumbo quail and i wanted to mark the females. what is the appropriate sized leg band for them? these will be sexed as adults so it needs to be an open ring.

I got some for my jumbos one time and they ended up being to big, I think they were size 5 but it may have been 4.

Since then I have been using plastic zip ties. My females wear white and males wear black. Once my flock numbers are up a little more and am sure of what I have I will most likely cut the zip ties off the females. Walmart has em for cheap and you don't have to worry if they fit cause you can size them yourself. Use the smallest size they have and the birds don't even know they are wearing them. They have never come off of any my birds. I leave a little slack and cut the tag end off with scissors.
You might be able to see it on one of them in the pic....(back left bird).

I've used size 4 spiral and rubberband type leg bands. I liked the rubberband ones for young chicks but don't stay on great long term. The spiral bands stay on longer but are a pain to put on. Am currently using I believe 7mm snap on bands and they work great. I put them on at about three to four weeks and come in tons of colors so by putting on right or left legs I was able to easily individually mark over 45 birds. I've also used zip ties in the past and they work well if you just need to mark for male/female

zip ties you say? well i have an overabundance of those kicking around so ill just do that! easy as. thanks for the idea!
Sammit, make sure you don't tighten the zip tie too tight. You want it a little loose for growth, but not too loose that it falls off. I have small zip ties of diffferent colors.
James

James is right, you don't want them tight at all. If you wait till they are 6-8 weeks of age their legs shouldn't grow a whole lot more. I just bought the black and white zip ties but they are available in several different colors if needed. Good luck.

im waiting till adults and then doing this. right now, they are just starting to change plumage so ill give them another 2-3 wks before i go ahead. some seem to be maturing a lot faster than others. ive still got several teeny ones and one big golden who is looking to already be male.

Back
Top Bottom