Leg bands for Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cayuga26, Oct 9, 2008.

1. cayuga26

cayuga26 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    I am wondering what other's here use for marking there duck. I have six Cayugas and have been looking at legg bands but have had some bad experiences with the bandett's on three ducks I have baught (to small and cut into the leg). I know from banding wild birds that the aluminum butt end bands are considered the safest marking method for birds but im not sure where to get them.

anyways just thaught I would see what others had to say about this,

Thanks

Chris

2. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    We used zip-strips on our cayugas, but only needed them for a short time. Not sure if they'd be a long-term solution.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use zip ties, but I prefer spiral bands. They are easy to get on, and come off easy.

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I prefer zip ties. They're cheaper and easier to get. If you melt the end for a couple of seconds then it's a fine long-term solution for ducks and geese - they have such big feet that you can give the tie a lot of growing room.

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I've used zip-ties for 4 years with no problems. I had one duck that loved the mud so, mud got caked around the zip tie but , that is the only thing that has ever happened using zip-ties.

6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Walmart, hardware section, top row ZIP TIES !!!! Keep a record of your colors and ages, etc. It works great! We have black cayugas that we use them on without any problem! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by