Leg bands...have you used these kind before?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Frozen Feathers, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Here's the link
    to what I'm asking about. I am wondering if anyone has used them before. They look like a good idea, but I'm wondering how secure they are and if they could easily come off the birds leg and then be ingested.
    Any information would be great.

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Angie, I have never used those but have a two big canisters of colored Zip ties that I got at outlet store and they should last pretty long I have used them and am still using them but you have to watch as they grown to change them. I am using some numbered bands now on my silkies so I can keep up with them.

3. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    they don't look aluminum to me.

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Angie,
    Like Bama Chick, we have used diff color zip ties. They work great. We were having trouble distinguishing the diff in our 6 RIR's and a few of our SLW. I can't remember when we put them on, but they still have them on and they are about 8 months old now. I just monitor them to make sure they don't outgrow them. We looked every where for the bands, but couldn't find them at the time.

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    These are the ones all 12 of my hens are wearing (and have been wearing for months)..plenty of room in a size 12 leg band ebay item # 250094403732
    Darlene

6. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I also use the colored zip ties. Have used them for years and never had a problem with them.

Donna

7. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Angie,

I use the aluminum leg bands. They are really easy to work with and they come off easily as well. Easy to adjust the size if you need to also.

EDITED: I should say they come off easily when you take them off. They don't come off by themselves.

Take care,

Tami

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by