Leg bands metal or plastic? tips

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wife2abirdman, Feb 11, 2013.

1. wife2abirdman

wife2abirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    I have never used leg bands before as I never needed them in the past. I am now starting to think they might be useful just as some of my hens are similar and it is hard to tell which one is in the nest box laying eggs. So what do you think is better metal or plastic? Also what about when you get NPIP(?) certified, is there something I should know when keeping my own records? Is there something I should do specifically? Is there a difference between buying in chicks, hatching chicks, and buying in adults (well when it comes to the leg bands and the NPIP cert)? Also I have tons of different breeds EE's, Cochins, Orpingtons, Leghorns ect all their legs are very different. Any tips on sizes?

I just figured I would start with 1 and go from there and just keep going up. I also was leaning more toward plastic they don't seem as harsh.

[​IMG]Also where can I get them? I have so far only found 2 places McMurray and arcata pet supply.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I use colored cable ties as leg bands. Cheap, easy, love them!

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I get them from Cutler. They have pretty reasonable prices [​IMG] They also have a size chart you can refer to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by