Leg bands on baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 4, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I am looking into getting leg bands for growing chicks. I read on a few sites that the band size should be for chicks a #4, while other sites I read growing chicks should have a #6 band. For those of you that band your birds. What size do you put on your birds? I am looking for the type of band in which you put it on once and it will expand as the chick grows. I am wanting to get the ones w/ numbers on them. So, if you have a good source, and pricing is good where you get them if you could please supply a web site that would be great.

Thanks
    Kim

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I got mine from Meyer Hatchery. It is better to be to big than too small. Those small plastic rings are really tight and don't spread well on their own. You will need to pay attention to any leg band to make sure they don't get to tight on the birds legs. [​IMG]

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    The colored, hard plastic cirle ones I bought off ebay are size 12. I put them on my hens when they were about 6 months old and they are still loose but not enought to fall off. Several of my chickens look so much alike (I have 7 Barred Rocks & 5 RIRs) that I absolutely could not tell them apart without their ankle bracelets!! You can do a search on ebay for chicken leg bands and they should come up, sems like the girls store was something like everythingforbirds...do the search though, I'm probably wrong, it's been a few months. Def. size 12 though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by