1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg Bands

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cu1030, Apr 16, 2017.

1. cu1030

cu1030 New Egg

Dec 25, 2013
    Hi, This might be a stupid question but I just received 4 Black Star, 4 months old. They all have leg bands on each leg. Should I remove these right away or do they break off at some point
    Thank You.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

They do not break off, if they're left on, and the chicken starts to outgrow them, they bands will cut into their leg. Just remove them when they start to get too small

3. cu1030

cu1030 New Egg

Dec 25, 2013
    Thank You

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. I don’t know what those leg bands look like, their purpose, or what materials they are made out of. If you don’t need them, I suggest removing them now, but they might be the way you tell the chickens apart.

If you keep them, just keep checking them as the chicks grow. They may or may not get too tight. As long as the bands can move up or down the chickens are doing fine. But get rid of them if they start to get snug.

I use colored zip ties to mark mine after they reach a certain age, but occasionally I have to remove them and replace them as the chickens grow.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I would remove them. I also use zip ties and adjust as needed for birds I need to identify.

One hatchery I saw has switched to a tape that falls off around 14 days because of people having a hard time or simply forgetting to take them off and causing injury to the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by