leg bands

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bigbear4x43, May 4, 2009.

1. Bigbear4x43

Bigbear4x43 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Norton
    im looking for a way to mark baby chicks with leg bands day old some are mixed eggs some RIR and some are buddies eggs like to mark them that way i can tell what is what so what size bands do i need or any other ideas
    for day old chicks

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    To mark baby chicks we use different colored permanent markers on their feet until old enough for permanent leg bands. Chicks quickly outgrow the small bands and have to be changed quite often as thy grow.

3. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    just make sure the color isn't red!!

they will peck at it to no end

we just put zip ties (the very thin kind) on our chicks to we can try and keep track of them. I figured up a system of dashes (-) and hash marks ( l ) (( 4 each like this; l, ll, lll, llll, -l, -ll, --lll, -l-, -ll- )). I used a sharpie to make the marks on white/clearish zip ties. we were going to get the colored ones but we would have to put multiple bands on some and that would just be crazy to do and keep up with if they are getting tight on them. I have 16 chicks I needed to band so colors were not really an option. I wrote down of a paper all of the symbols and then tried to write down a few characteristics of the chick to help me better identify them. also if I thought they were roo or pullet....just to see how close we are. hth!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I use zip ties as well. Just gotta check for size often and change them when they get tight.

5. texas_is_home

texas_is_home Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Boerne, Texas
  6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Only if you need 1000 for $62 [​IMG]

Most other places I've seen online allow you to buy as few as 50, but as the chicks grow you are going to need multiple sizes in multiple colors, and having 49 leftover super-small bands in 3 colors just wasn't for me.

For those of us needing to band only a handful of chicks, zip ties are much more economical.
    For those of us with "pet" chickens, checking for growing room and changing the tie as needed is about as easy as petting the chick or photographing it - which many of us frequently do anyway.

7. ke_ben

ke_ben Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  8. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Cutler Supply has some cool stuff. Did you notice they had the 2001 Standard of Perfection Book for $49.00? Sorry didn't mean to change the subject.

Back on bands. I wanted to try the coil band or bandette so I could reuse them. This guy on ebay had the best deal I could find. You can get multiples of 20 in any size or color combination. It's also nice if you are not sure what size you need you can get different sizes without having to buy so many. He sent extras and fast shipping. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260392557854

He also has other bands. Link to other items (this link may be handy also if the auction link above expires):

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/greenkoi1

9. Bigbear4x43

Bigbear4x43 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Norton
    what is the size for day old chicks/phasants

10. ke_ben

ke_ben Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: May 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by