Leg Bands

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by riftnreef, Jan 28, 2010.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    What exactly is the purpose of using leg bands?

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Identifying chickens. We did it sometimes when we were mixing 100 new layers with 100 old layers. I could tell most of them apart but we did it for safety. If you want to use something cheaper you can use Zip ties.

3. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    I use different color leg bands to tell my hens apart. works great. ex. one has a green on the left leg and one has a green on the right leg etc. otherwise it would be hard to tell who is who.[​IMG]

4. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    I've noticed the SCNA has a leg band registry with particular numbers registered to different breeders...so what is that all about?

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:Those work good for older birds. For the chicks I use little girls hair elastics. I got a pack of 500 mixed colors for $1.
    I can't tell some of mine apart otherwise! lol The EE's get blue, the JG gets white the Marans and Silkies don't get any. I don't have huge numbers though. Some people color code by hatch or age.

Ok...I can tell them apart, but since their mostly all black that involves catching each one and looking for its particular markings. I tell from a few feet away with the bands.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have just four wyandottes that are nearly impossible to tell apart. It's useful to be able to identify at a glance a particular bird I might wish to monitor, illness, injuries, bullying behavior, etc.

I'm frugal as well as remote from major feed stores. So I took colored, large size paper clips, straightened them out, and then curled them around a magic marker pen to create a spiral. To install them on the hens' legs was a bit of a chore, they put up quite a fuss and hollered that it was hurting, but I got them on without too much trouble. The bands are holding up just fine and it sure makes it easier to keep track of who'd who.

7. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote:Those work good for older birds. For the chicks I use little girls hair elastics. I got a pack of 500 mixed colors for $1.

i have been looking for the colored bands or colored rubber bands for a week now and cant find them anywhere!

i would be happy to find anything like that for a buck! Even if i only get 25!

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    You can get the colored zip ties(we call them tie-wraps) at most hardware or home improvement stores for a couple of bucks.

9. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Quote:What is SCNA?

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    SCNA a serama group, they do that so you know what lines you have, and some clubs pay an incentive, if your bird is wearing the clubs leg band and they win grand champ you get a prize

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by