LEG BANDS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tnkinhunting, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    How do you read them. I just found one and it reads NC6684 - what does that mean????

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    depends on what kind of band it is and what kind of fowl it is for. how big is it, what color band and what fowl is it on? most breeders us them for different reasons and they do not all read the same.

my usda poultry bands all read different than any other bands unless they are pa dept of ag bands. cockatiel and parrot bands read totally different and so do duck and other bands, numbers and initials mean totally different.
    silkie

3. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    as an added thought what kind of band is it? plastic, metal does it have a phone # on it? is it seamless or is it clamped together to touch end to end or clamped together with a crush spot that over laps(a circle that has to be smashed together with plyers for it to hold)?

4. tnkinhunting

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    It is on one of my showgirls(naked neck silkie) - I had not noticed it before - the leg feathers covered it. It is metal.

5. tnkinhunting

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Oh, you have showgirls? Would you look at my post and pictures under "What Breed or Gender Is It" - I want to know if I have a pair......can you tell me. I just love these two!!!! The larger one (male?) has the band.

6. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    yep i have lots of showgirls in many colors,lol.

my guess is the band is a NC dept of ag band because it was tested for a show. i couldn't see a band in pic but that should be the same kind of band or similar i put on fowl when i test pa birds for the pa dept of ag for exhibition. every bird tested for AI and PT ect must have them on their legs and clamped to show what blood came from what birds and then is recorded on our paper work.

i posted on ur other thread as to what sex they are and posted pics of some of mine to help ya be able to look and see the differences of males and females.

hope this helps,
    silkie

7. tnkinhunting

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Thanks Silkie,

I tested the young one on another roo today and he showed fight - so as much as I would like him to be a "her" he's not! [​IMG]

I have had these birds since last Sept and just found that leg band - it's a silver metal about 1/2 inch wide with a hole in it. I really appreciate your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by