1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leg Bands?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mhwc56, Sep 21, 2010.

1. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

does anyone use leg bands for their Coturnix and what size is needed? Where do i get them?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I do not recommend them at all [​IMG]

It causes too many problems...

I label the cages instead.

3. mhwc56

Quote:Do they get leg injuries?

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:YES FOR THE COLOR BREEDS THAT CANNOT BE VISUALLY SEXED I TAG THE LEFT LEG ON THE ROOS ONLY

THE BEST/ EASIEST/ CHEAPEST/ MOST DURABLE LEG BANDS I HAVE FOUND ARE COLORED ZIP TIES IN A SMALL SIZE. THEY CAN BE FOUND AT ANY STORE THAT CARRIES EVEN A LITTLE BIT OF HARDWARE--- BIG LOTS, WALMART, LOWES, HOME DEPOT, ACE HARDWARE, ETC...

AS THE ONLY 1'S THAT NEED TAGGING ARE MALES YOU WONT NEED MANY, SIMPLY APPLY THEM TO THE ANIMAL LOOSE ENOUGH TO ALLOW MOVEMENT ON THE LEG, BUT TIGHT ENOUGH THEY WONT SLIP OFF AND TRIM THE EXCESS "TAG END" OFF WITH NIPPERS. THEY WILL IN MOST CASES OUTLAST THE BIRD.

I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM WITH THIS METHOD. IF A BIRD IS TAGGED QUITE YOUNG AND GROWS A BUNCH JUST KEEP AN EYE ON THE BAND.... IF IT LOOKS TO BE TOO SNUG CUT IT OFF AND RE APPLY ANOTHER FOR THE PROPER FIT.

I USE THIS METHOD ON MANY SPECES INCLUDING PHEASANTS AND CHICKENS TO MARK HATCH YEARS/ BATCHES.... WHETHER IT IS PRODUCED FROM MY STOCK OR AN OUTSIDE SOURCE, ETC...

5. mhwc56

Quote:YES FOR THE COLOR BREEDS THAT CANNOT BE VISUALLY SEXED I TAG THE LEFT LEG ON THE ROOS ONLY

THE BEST/ EASIEST/ CHEAPEST/ MOST DURABLE LEG BANDS I HAVE FOUND ARE COLORED ZIP TIES IN A SMALL SIZE. THEY CAN BE FOUND AT ANY STORE THAT CARRIES EVEN A LITTLE BIT OF HARDWARE--- BIG LOTS, WALMART, LOWES, HOME DEPOT, ACE HARDWARE, ETC...

AS THE ONLY 1'S THAT NEED TAGGING ARE MALES YOU WONT NEED MANY, SIMPLY APPLY THEM TO THE ANIMAL LOOSE ENOUGH TO ALLOW MOVEMENT ON THE LEG, BUT TIGHT ENOUGH THEY WONT SLIP OFF AND TRIM THE EXCESS "TAG END" OFF WITH NIPPERS. THEY WILL IN MOST CASES OUTLAST THE BIRD.

I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM WITH THIS METHOD. IF A BIRD IS TAGGED QUITE YOUNG AND GROWS A BUNCH JUST KEEP AN EYE ON THE BAND.... IF IT LOOKS TO BE TOO SNUG CUT IT OFF AND RE APPLY ANOTHER FOR THE PROPER FIT.

I USE THIS METHOD ON MANY SPECES INCLUDING PHEASANTS AND CHICKENS TO MARK HATCH YEARS/ BATCHES.... WHETHER IT IS PRODUCED FROM MY STOCK OR AN OUTSIDE SOURCE, ETC...

thanks JJMR. tagging males was what i mostly wanted to do.

6. heatherndoug

heatherndoug Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Newberry
  7. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    I do the same thing that JJMR794 does....

colored zip ties.......

i band all of them and # them.....

so far i have not had a issue....

8. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO

Thank you! I have been trying to decide which bandings would work best for our multisize chicken flock, plus having the quail hatching soon and this is perfect! affordable, easy, and such variety! [​IMG] Thanks again for the info!

9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I use zipties too.

10. Lelu

Lelu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Monterey, Ca
    I've actually been wondering... One of my hens lays white eggs with small brown dots, the others lay off white eggs with brown splats. I know egg coloration is an odd thing to breed for, however if I ever borrowed a roo, she is the hen I would want to breed... but of course I have no clue which of my hens lays these eggs. I'm guessing the easiest way is to separate the girls out for a day. Am I crazy? Does anyone else do this, are pretty egg genes even passed down. Some folks sell the blow out eggs on Etsy and I was thinking of doing it myself. Should I find and tag this hen?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by