Leg bands

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 6Happiness, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 6Happiness

6Happiness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I need a reliable identification method (no toe hole punching!). I assume that would mean some kind of leg band (any other method I'm unaware of). I do have bad joints and an allergy to latex/rubber so it cannot be rubber/latex, and it must be easy to apply. The spiral leg bands look like they might work, but I wanted to check with other people's experiences before ordering any. thanks!

2. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    You can by them at feed stores but i use zip ties [​IMG]

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I too have been thinking about this. I like the bands with numbers on them...whether plastic or metal.

Don't know WHICH I should get.

I don't think I'm interested in the wing-bands or other such marking methods.

But, I'm wondering if there are advantages/disadvantages with plastic vs metal leg-bands.

I'm glad that you started this thread. I will watch it. Perhaps some folks have tried various alternatives and concluded that one is superior.

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:Me, too. The $ Tree sells colored ones.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    best site for any bands....i use leg and wing bands....you can get number you like or even your name and address....wing band are put on my birds as they are removed from hatcher.

Danger with zip ties they need replace as the bird grows. many use them, but i have seen birds at auction were the grew into the leg

http://www.nationalband.com/

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I use zip ties on chicks, and then the spiral plastic legbands with numbers on them once they are big enough. I have had no problems with them. However, a friend of mine used them to mark her 2 broody hens, and both the girls took them off. I think they were too big for them, but it was all I had for LF birds at the time.

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    check this site better its for leg band....they make them here no 2nd man. I use Alum but end ....number with my name and address.

lot of the plastic and etc leg band without a number to me doesn't work ,but i deal with alot of birds and colors

http://www.nationalband.com/nbtbird.htm

8. 6Happiness

May 31, 2010
    I think the applicator for the metal bands would be too difficult for my joints; and i've always had a hard time with dexterity and zipties.

So, do the plastic spiral ones STAY ON? What about the numbered 'plastic bandettes'?

How do I figure out what size(s) to get?

Thanks

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    The numbered 'plastic bandettes'? Will stay on , think they have a chart for size....or ask them.

The alum leg bands i use standard pr of pliers. not hard, you can ask ,they will send you a few sample size, then you can see if you can put them on. how many birds....heck i may have a few

10. 6Happiness

May 31, 2010
    Oh I see the bandettes require an applicator of some kind, I should try the spirals first if those should stay on.

I see there is a photo with a ruler in it.... not the easiest to read... I guess in the daytime I'll have to find measuring tape and measure the bird's legs and ask them which one fits that measurement.

okay, thanks

Anyone else have experience with the plastic spirals?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by