Leg Bands

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by laughingclown, Mar 26, 2012.

1. laughingclown

laughingclown Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    Linden, Michigan
    I don't have access to leg bands right now but I want to identify my hens and chicks. Does anyone think I could use small zip ties as long as I don't put them on to tight?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read here that they are not idea, but lots of people use them. I tried it once and the chickens pulled them off.

3. ruanna

ruanna Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    what can we use and what size for large & bantam size chicks ? Some people use food coloring, how do you use that?

4. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I've had chickens for a year, and have used zip ties the whole time without a problem. I used colored ones, and put different colors on the similar breeds so I can tell them apart. Like if I have four of the same breed, I will use one yellow, one green, and one red, and then don't put one on the last chicken. I start from tiny chicks, and just check them once a week so I can tell when they are growing out of them, then I clip them off and put new ones on. Zero problems, whatsoever. :)

5. neen269

neen269 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    Drummonds, TN
    I was thinking of doing this myself but thought maybe putting a color on their ankle might lead to pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by