leg bar eggs and power going out.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkymom, Aug 2, 2015.

1. silkymom

silkymom Songster

Nov 20, 2009
    we have severe storm watch, high wind already, the power is flashing on and off, i have 24 cream leg bar , and a few mutts, ee-leg bar, cooking, how long and what temp do i have to put em under my shirt and wrap up, its 90 degrees here now, i dont want to lose them, [​IMG]

i meant 24 total, some are ee hen. thanks all

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    At 90 degrees you'll probably be okay for a while. Throw a blanket over the incubator to keep in as much heat as you can. They can survive quite a bit of cooling, though they may hatch late.

3. silkymom

silkymom Songster

Nov 20, 2009
    thanks i just wondered how low it could go, they wer put in yesterday, we only expected rain,

4. HenHoneyGirl

HenHoneyGirl Chirping

May 26, 2015
    Arizona
    your eggs should be fine, I don't think you'll have to put them under your shirt! ;) but you can try and keep the incubator as warm as possible, as suggested above but the worst that could happen is your eggs might hatch a bit later than expected. [​IMG]

5. silkymom

silkymom Songster

Nov 20, 2009
    im ready with blankets, just wondered how far down thew temp can go before i take emergancy action, if the power goes out and stays out i cant get to you all, ????

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you have those little hand warmers you can put in your gloves and shoes in winter? I keep those on hand for power outages and they did the trick for me in the middle of January this year during a day long power outage. I only lost one egg. At 90 degrees ambient temperature I really don't think you're going to need to take any emergency action. They'd be fine for at least a few hours, probably longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: