Leg check (picture-Mites)

IdahoPrepper

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2015
So after 3 weeks of treatment we are stalled at this point. The crud has fallen off but the scales, on the worst bird, are still raised and ugly. Do I wait and see or keep treating?

Opinions?

I'm not sure how you have been treating, but I have found that dipping the legs in some types of oil in a jar/bucket works way better than petroleum jelly which is what many people recommend. It seems to coat all the crevices far better.

So I treat until the scales lie flat or????

Well, the scales are raised because of the mites under them, so it makes sense to continue treatment til they lie flat.. You should be able to tell when the legs look healthy. I know leg mites take a fairly long time to cure. Patience!

I'm not sure how you have been treating, but I have found that dipping the legs in some types of oil in a jar/bucket works way better than petroleum jelly which is what many people recommend. It seems to coat all the crevices far better.

I have been painting, with a brush, castor oil mixed with campho pehnique. I slather it on with two to three coats and the legs are dripping with oil.

You might try putting the oil in a jar and then sticking each leg in for a little bit. It seem to penetrate the legs more that way.

Back
Top Bottom