leg color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelck22, Oct 18, 2013.

1. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    I have some black copper marans pullets with dark legs. The rooster I just got has light legs. What will the chicks breed out as?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i breed a rir dark legs, with a buff polish, light legs and i got some of both with some inbetweens, gray/green.

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    It sounds like your females carry the extended black allele and your male carries a different allele. If the females are pure for extended black then all of the chicks will have dark legs. If the females carry one extended black allele and another allele ( wheaten or birchen), then half of he chicks will have dark legs. It sounds like your male may carry the wheaten allele and not the birchen allele. If you hatch enough chicks, ( and the females carry wheaten) you may get some wheaten down chicks.

Tim

4. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa

His legs are more of a very light gray, not the Wheaton color. His wing matches that of a black copper. At least if I do end up with some Wheaton chicks I can tell them apart. Hope that won't be the case though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by