Leg cramps OUCH!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hoosierhen, Jan 15, 2008.

1. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Does anyone out there get really bad leg/ foot cramps? That is why I frequent the boards so much at the wee hours of the morning. I get cramps, then have to walk them off, then I'm wide awake for awhile. Sometimes they make me cry, they hurt so bad!

2. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    OUCH!
    i don't even have an excuse to be on here right now except that i'm a total night-owl.

what about those medications i'm seeing on TV all the time that are supposed to treat "restless leg syndrome?" aren't cramps one of the ways that it manifests? have you talked to your doc?
    occationally i'll get one of those cramps in my calves at night and it's horrible. i can't imagine having them all the time.

hang in there.

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Boost your potassium intake & that should help...oj, bananas, vitamins...

4. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I get leg cramps all the time from sitting in my cruiser for some nights up to 8 hrs, backs and fronts of my legs....I got a little bottle of honey in the cup holder, seems the protein in the honey really helps me out. Done the banana thing before, either they dont work fast enough for me or go rotten to quick. Just a little shot and I'm good to go!

5. hoosierhen

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I may try to take more potassium. I try to eat a well balanced diet. I am very anemic at the moment Hbg 8.7, ferritin stores 2.2, which is zilch. Am currently getting weekly IV iron, and monthly B12 injections. My oral absorbtion stinks-everything IV or IM. Hopefully the cramps will get better soon.
    Anyway, it's great to have this forum to read and participate in as a diversion. I am really enjoying my adventure into the chicken world! Thanks for your replies!

6. hoosierhen

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    ChickenCop, I've never heard about the honey thing- I'll try it! (Couldn't hurt, and I love honey!) Thanks!

7. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    If you are a cig. smoker it is harder to absord potassium & iron....another good reason to think about quitting if you smoke. Never heard of honey for cramps and protein but we use it here alot for allergies..if you take a tablespoon a day of LOCAL honey it will help you build immunities to the local allergens, seems to help us pretty well. I'll remember it for other reasons now too, thanks Chicken Cop & stay safe out there inthis crazy world that doesn't respect Cops too much [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Try changing your diet just a little and see what helps. Maybe a banana every morning for a week, along with a vitamin supplement. A tbsp of apple cider vinegar a day never hurt a body either - we do give it to chickens for what ails them. [​IMG]

Good luck. I hope it gets better.

I had the worst leg cramps when I was pregnant with each of my children. I don't wish them on anyone.

9. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Morning Ms. Prissy - Pioneering Prarie Woman!! Never heard that about the apple cider vinegar but I know it's a good de-wormer, lol!! A little in my dog and cat water every now and then and no worms, guess that wouldn't hurt those of us that are "full of it" either, lol!!!...better go get me a gallon [​IMG]

10. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I also suffer extreme cramps at night.
    I think its from my MS and they call it muscle tie-up.
    Ive had a couple of severe ones that knocked me out from the pain, i remember screaming into my pillow so no one could hear me and waking up the next morning.
    Its wonderful how our bodies work sometimes, when we have extreme pain we black out, funny though we dont black out during childbirth!!
    good luck with it, ill try the honey too. The MS doctor tried to give me some pills for the cramps but they make me feel really tired so ~ no go
    .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by