Leg dressing for dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Swamp Roo, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    I wrote in a another post about my dog chewing on her carpal pads. Well one side seems to be doing better, and the other was as well till she opened it up again. The bitter apple has really helped, but I expect the healing wound itches like crazy, and when she just can't stand it anymore she suffers the bad taste in order to chew. BTW, yes, I bought the "non-stinging" kind of apple bitter. I want to try bandaging the pads up so she can't get to them. My first thought is to use a sterile pad along with the ointment du jour, and then what seem to the the animal care version of coban (horse leg wrap etc.). Then I plan to coat the whole thing in apple bitter. I also do realize not to put the wrap on very tight, I've needed coban on my own hand for a few months before, and I know very well how uncomfortable that can be. I've stopped going to the vet for cuts/scrapes/bites on the cats unless it is rally bad, because I know the drill so well there. The cats left things alone after daily irrigating and cleaning. They wanted to piddle on my pillow as pay back, but left the wound alone. No such luck with the dog, I need to be a bit more proactive here, I can't just leave it "open". So is this likely to be a good bandaging method? What has worked with your dogs?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ask the vet for an elizabethan collar. I'm sure you've seen them. Looks like a giant plastic funnel that hooks to the collar. Dogs are a bit clumsey with them at first, but they get used to them. Then you can bandage in the way you described and not worry about her chewing them off.

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Vetwrap is usually fairly good, mine don't seem to have a want to chew on it if it's laced with bitter apple.

4. Swamp Roo

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Quote:I thought about an Elizabethan collar. She would need a loooong one! Very long neck and legs. I am already chuckling about how she would look! LOL I'll try just the wrap and bitter alone first, and then I'd use a collar if needed.

Still chuckling....
    Swamp

5. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:Are you sure dogs get used to it my lab weim mix when ever the cone goes on he runs everyone over runs in to the wall etc

6. Swamp Roo

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Quote:Are you sure dogs get used to it my lab weim mix when ever the cone goes on he runs everyone over runs in to the wall etc

I'm with you. While I agree that most dogs/cats get used to them in a day or two, I've known dogs that just couldn't. My aunt's dogs just can't get the hang of lifting his head while walking. The collar digs into the carpet/ground every 4-5 feet and the poor dog does a head stand. To add insult to injury it's so funny that I can't help but laugh, and this dog HATES being laughed at (unless he is being a clown on purpose). I feel guilty about it, but I just can't help it though. The looks that dog gives me, if he owned a gun I'd be dead a hundred times over. My aunt hates putting the thing on him, but when it's necessary, it's better than the alternative. That being said, I'll put one on Fancy in a second if that's what it takes. Just trying to avoid it.

Swamp

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, most animals are pretty good about adjusting to what life hands them. Ever see a dog or cat that has had to have a limb amputated? Takes them a couple days to adjust their balance, then it's like the limb was never there.
    You don't have to worry about the dog's legs and neck being too long, as long as the collar is longer than their snot it'll work. Can't get the snot past the outer edge of the collar, can't chew themselves.

8. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I've seen inflatable collars. They're supposed to restrict the movement instead of providing a barrier.

There may be one on drsfostersmith.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by