1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leg grew the wrong way in the egg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Jul 1, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just had some orpingtons hatched. 24 eggs shipped. only 6 fertile, all 6 hatched but only 4 hatched without problems. ive already culled one as it had no legs at all [​IMG] and the other seems to have its leg the wrong way. the foot is upside down and back to front (so the sole of the foot faces upwards and instead of the foot facing forwards, it faces backwards.
    just looking for confirmation that i should cull this chick....i had no problems making the decision for the legless one as it would have had no quality of life, but this one has 2 legs, albeit one is upside/backwards.

it hatched about 3 hours ago, last one of the hatch (al the others hatched yesterday)

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I would, just in my opinion I don't really have the resources, dedication or time to give it quality of life. [​IMG]

eta no legs at all? What on earth? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:yes, the other had two sort of little stumps a few milimetres long, no foot on either and nothing you could call a real leg [​IMG]
    ive emailed the seller of the eggs to express my disappointment but dont hold out much hope for an answer. its a shame, i paid a lot of money for these eggs as orpingtons are hard to find here [​IMG]

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] At least you have some there are none of yet for sale I can see in Australia apart from this lot in Queensland a good 2 days drive from where i am... [​IMG]

5. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I saw someone else on here who had a chicken with one leg the wrong way similar to your chicks. It grew up full size, could run and jump and do everything else a chicken could. Remember it doesn't know any different so as long as it can actually walk, let it live.

*Edit* found the picture. Its a RIR hen https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402171&p=3
    And
    another bantam hen in the same thread with the same thing https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402171&p=11

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by