Leg/hock wound Adult Barred Rock

sfcDonL

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
South Carolina
Our hen injured the upper (tib/fib) inside of her hock. The skin is torn on the inner side of the joint. There is a green bubble o man the outside of the wound. She won't put weight on it but she can move the leg and toes as normal. We cleaned it, applied Neosporin, lightly wrapped with sterile gauze and wrapped above and below the joint with veterinarian wrap.
She's eating/drinking and acts fine. Any suggestions about care are welcome.
20190317_144838.jpg

Last edited:
Our hen injured the upper (femur) inside of her hock. The skin is torn on the inner side of the joint. There is a green bubble o man the outside of the wound. She won't put weight on it but she can move the leg and toes as normal. We cleaned it, applied Neosporin, lightly wrapped with sterile gauze and wrapped above and below the joint with veterinarian wrap.
She's eating/drinking and acts fine. Any suggestions about care are welcome.View attachment 1705438
Do you have vet care?

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that.
@Eggcessive @casportpony

What does that green bubble feel like - fluid, hard, soft?
Can you post some photos a little further away so we can gauge the size of the wound on her leg? The photo you have is good seeing the inside of the wound, but give us more at different angles please.

I looked at this thread last night, but I didn’t quite know how to help or what exactly I was seeing. That is the greenest bruising I have ever seen. A few more pictures from farther away to see the whole chicken might help. With thigh injuries or possible broken bones, a vet is usually the best option because as a vet recently posted here, it is difficult to splint above and below the joints of a femur injury. Here is a skeleton, where you might be able to better see where the injury is:

upload_2019-3-18_12-5-10.jpeg

That swelling is about half of what it was yesterday. Neosporin & wrap seemed to help. I cleaned it more today, sprayed Blue Kote on it and wrapped it with cotton and vet cling wrap above and below the hock. Wound looks much better.

Attachments

• 20190318_154210.jpg
    20190318_154210.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190318_154229.jpg
    20190318_154229.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 13
Do you have vet care?

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that.
@Eggcessive @casportpony

What does that green bubble feel like - fluid, hard, soft?
Can you post some photos a little further away so we can gauge the size of the wound on her leg? The photo you have is good seeing the inside of the wound, but give us more at different angles please.

The vet can't help. They take thousands of $$$ from us but won't do chickens. She is standing on it a bit, eating and drinking as usual. I put her outside in a cage so she can see the flock. She's going back in the shed tonight. I'll post progress. Thankx for your interest and help.

Betadine or Chorhexidene are better for deep wounds than BluKote which is better for scrapes and minor cuts. Many use Vetericyn or Theracyn Wound spray as well for treatment after the initial wound care, then reapply the Neosporin.

It is much better to visualize the leg injury with the new pictures. Glad that the wound is looking better. What got ahold of your chicken? Is she eating and drinking well? Cooked egg, tuna, wet chicken feed with a spoonful of cottage cheese or plain yogurt are good to feed in small amounts. I hope that you see more improvement. If you need antibiotic suggestions let us know. There are not many for chickens available, but sometimes ones may be used that treat fish or pigeons.

I looked at this thread last night, but I didn’t quite know how to help or what exactly I was seeing. That is the greenest bruising I have ever seen. A few more pictures from farther away to see the whole chicken might help. With thigh injuries or possible broken bones, a vet is usually the best option because as a vet recently posted here, it is difficult to splint above and below the joints of a femur injury. Here is a skeleton, where you might be able to better see where the injury is:

View attachment 1705788
It's the hock on the tib/fib/metatarsal joint. The wound is shown better in new pics. Thankx for helping.

I don’t know if a chicken sling or chair would help your hen, but they are fairly easy to make with a large plastic rubbermaid container, a few 2 inch binder clips, and a piece of material with 3 holes (2 leg holes, 1 poop hole.) It is a good way to get them up and in front of food and water. Here is a link with pictures, and a video:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-18_16-15-47.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-18_16-15-47.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom