Leg horn laid a soft broken egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RichtmanRanch, Nov 17, 2014.

1. RichtmanRanch

RichtmanRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    Pearl is a leg horn (really a California white) and is about 1.5 years old. Has never had a major molt and has been laying fine for some time, over a year. This fall when it started getting cold she started to lay about every other day. Some of my other hens did too, so I didnt think much about it. Plus we have a light that comes on at 5am to help with laying.

I noticed in the last two weeks she as started to lay about every two days now. However today another chicken of mine came running out of the coop caring pearls broken egg in her beak. And if i think about it the last time she layed an egg was probably thursday or friday and now here we are on monday.

I believe her overall behavior seems normal, eating drinking pooping with out issue. I cleaned of the shelf under there perch just to monitor how much she poops over night. they also have grit and oyster shells dispersed in their grain hopper.

SO here is my question. What is going on with her? How serious is this? I have never had any issues like this in the past, but this is only my second year with chickens. I read a pervious thread saying to flush her vent with vinegar and water. I will need to run to the store to get some. Is this a death sentence for her? how can I help her? Can this just happen every now and again? Does she have cooked egg inside her now? Just worried, having not dealt with this ever. Any advice/guidance would be great!

Thank you!!!

2. Rani

Rani Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    By A Lake, Minnesota
    My four hens were laying normal eggs and then suddenly, I had two soft eggs from my four hens - don't know which one they came from. I just watched and waited and all went back to normal. They were all eating/drinking - looking normal. I'm not sure why it happened, but it hasn't happened since. Hopefully it's just a winter slow-down and a freak soft egg!

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Bone resorption of calcium happens when hens need it. Pre-moult and during moult this can happen as the reproductive tract regresses and egg formation slows or halts. Most of that energy goes into producing feathers and helping the body adjust to stress. If you use a poultry vitamin supplement in water a few days a week, get some calcium gluconate from the feed store and add 1 tablespoon 2x a week to water. Mix some oyster shell with feed. Clean up those soft shell eggs as soon as you find them, since they will only encourage egg eating. California Whites are good layers and a high production bird. I have California Grays which are similar. Limit the scratch and feed them mainly layer feed. Once a week, you can also use 2-4 tsp of A,D,E fortified wheat germ oil mixed well in feed. Mix it up so all the feed gets oil on it and feed it to birds that morning.

If you don't see improvement in a couple weeks, there may be some helpful information here for you:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1003/factors-influencing-shell-quality

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  4. RichtmanRanch

RichtmanRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the link. I dont think she is molting currently. It doesnt look like she is losing any feathers. I'll check out the water supplement. They have grit and oyster shells mixed in their layer ration, maybe 10% of it is oyster shells, but I also did put out some free choice. I will hold back on scratch too, i usually through some in the run every morning to encourage them to get out of the coop for a bit. As for the wheat germ oil... is it wheat germ mixed with olive oil or is it an actual oil? Where can I find it, in the health food section? I have bough wheat germ in the past, but did not pay attention to if it was ADE. She was in the next box today for at least a half hour maybe more, but didn't lay an egg. I guess because I didnt see it I dont know if she laid the egg already broken or if another hen broke it after it was laid. Thanks for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by