Leg injure

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by riisike, Jan 25, 2017.

1. riisike

riisike New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    After some small predator attack my Indian running duck leg is not "working" anymore. I can´t see any injury. Its not swallen or broken. He move this leg but don´t stand. He eats and drinks well. Attack was month ago. I can´t see any improvement. What can I do to help him?

2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    How well does he swim? I'd say lots of tub time, so that he can strengthen his leg, but not hurt it. Other than that, I'm not sure...

3. riisike

riisike New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    He swim only with one leg. Other hurt leg just hanging.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @riisike when the attack first happened was their a wound? or maybe the leg was pulled out of socket? have you felt up around where leg joins body?

Rest an lots of rest may help and water therapy. But letting him run around as best he can with the rest of the flock is not helping. He needs time to heal if it's going to.

5. riisike

riisike New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    he is not with others. He is warm room with us and all the time resting. (Almost month now). Little scratch was on the leg, but I can´t tell if the leg was pulled out the socket.. If it is pulled out, can I help hem somehow or not?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If almost a month possibly not but is it possible to take him to a vet? I'd think if the leg was pulled out of socket the other leg would be shorter than the injured one. But I don't know that for sure.When he lays down does he put the injured leg under him like the good one?

How is appetite?

7. riisike

riisike New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    Other leg is always stretched back. If he is walking (jumping) then just hanging. He eats and drink normally.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am not sure if anything can be done but alot of folks keep handicapped ducks and other animals so if your able maybe he can just be a house duck? He'd probably be alright outside to if kept in a safe area when he wouldn't have to be running to keep up and safe from predators.

If a vet is feasible I would def go that route. At least you'd know if he is in pain and if there is anything that can be done.

There are slings that can be made for water fowl look on line for info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1136769/ducks-with-special-needs/130#post_17995278

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by