Leg injury. Anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MorganAH, Feb 8, 2015.

1. MorganAH

MorganAH Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    My two-year-old accidentally dropped something pretty heavy on my Betsy girl (9 week old RIR), and she can barely get around. It looks like her left leg can't move at all, but she is able to move enough and balance to make it a short distance to her food and water. She seems to be in pretty good spirits over the whole thing, but it's breaking my heart watching her. Is there anything I can do? Is this something they can recover from? Thanks in advance.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What was dropped and where, on the bird, did it hit? Is this an injury directly to the leg or an injury more to the bird's body that resulted in loss of use of the leg? How long has it been since the incident?

3. MorganAH

MorganAH Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    It was a large PVC pipe that my husband was turning into a chicken feeder. I didn't see where it hit... I actually didn't know it had hit her until after it had fallen. If it didn't hit her leg, I would imagine it hit her on the back. And it happened yesterday afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by