Leg injury help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jaybud, Jan 21, 2017.

1. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Any suggestions for curing this[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Do you know how long the bird has had the injury? The black color makes me think it could be infected, in which case you would need to treat with antibiotics and recovery would be less likely/harder.

For now, I would clean the wound with warm soapy water. Then, apply some antibiotic ointment (like neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment) to the wound. You could also spray it with a wound spray like veterycin or blue-kote. Keep the bird in a clean area and perhaps put some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in its water to help with stress.

3. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    I assume it might be awhile since she had it. I recently removed some bumblefoot from her feet. But even after doing that she still hopped on one foot and I couldn't figure out way. But now I see, **** only if I saw it sooner. I will quarintine her and do what you recommended, thnx.

4. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    I ended up having to cull her today, she had been losing weight and lots of yellow in her poo. Decided it was best to put her out of her misery. Infection must of gotten to her as I also noticed she was laboring pretty hard to breathe while laying down. I tried

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by