Leg injury in young pullet

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
One of my young BO pullets has been limping for at least 2 weeks now. I'm not sure how she was injured. I had posted about it previously thinking maybe it was from one of the roosters trying to breed her but they don't seem particularly interested in her or her sisters yet. She is not laying yet.

I trapped her in the goat house this morning so I could catch her and look her over really well. No obvious clues such as bumblefoot, etc... She doesn't mind me touching her feet or lower leg. When I move up her leg to the joint and above the femur, she goes nuts so I'm guessing it is an upper leg injury.

Anyone ever dealt with that? Advice on what to do?

Here's a video of her trying to walk.

It is hard to know if she has a hip or leg injury, or a sprain. Down on the leg, you could also include possible Mareks disease. I would probably make sure that she limits her activity, with no jumping up or down from the roost, and keeping a rooster away from her. Looking back over other threads, you may want to separate the roosters for a bit. You could aslo place her into a wire dog crate with food and water secured to the side, and let her still be with the flock. That way she will be more comfortable and not have to be reintegrated later. If she gets to where she cannot reach food and water, or stand, then try a chicken sling chair.

It is hard to know if she has a hip or leg injury, or a sprain. Down on the leg, you could also include possible Mareks disease. I would probably make sure that she limits her activity, with no jumping up or down from the roost, and keeping a rooster away from her. Looking back over other threads, you may want to separate the roosters for a bit. You could aslo place her into a wire dog crate with food and water secured to the side, and let her still be with the flock. That way she will be more comfortable and not have to be reintegrated later. If she gets to where she cannot reach food and water, or stand, then try a chicken sling chair.

I brought her inside to our sunroom for a few days to see if she improves. Can you crush up ibuprofen or naproxen and give it to chickens for inflammation? Just curious...

I got her from McMurray Hatchery and she was vaccinated for Mareks before shipping. I know that doesn't mean she can't get it but hopefully would make it less likely.

I have many roosts at various heights. None of my BO hens, including the adults, go up on the higher roosts. The highest roost that this pullet has probably been on is 3 ft off the ground. My coop flooring is poured concrete with a 3 inch thick layer of masonry sand and screenings mix.

For now I don't really have a way to separate the roosters without kicking my goats out of their house. If it warms up a little bit, I have a dog kennel that I am in the process of setting up to provide a protected outdoor space that is attached to a brooder pen. I could easily retrofit it to accommodate as a bachelor pen if/when I need to separate the boys or others from the main flock. But I'm going to need a few weeks to make that happen...

20210123_135813.jpg

Aspirin half of an 81 mg tablet twice a day for up to 3 days is fairly safe in chickens. Ibuprofen can be used, but I don’t know dosage. Many vets will prescribe meloxicam for inflammation and pain.

Aspirin half of an 81 mg tablet twice a day for up to 3 days is fairly safe in chickens. Ibuprofen can be used, but I don’t know dosage. Many vets will prescribe meloxicam for inflammation and pain.

If it is a sprain or torn ligament, would it help to give her a warm soak in the morning?

You could try some warm soaks to the leg if she seems to enjoy them. Make sure that she is blown dry afterward, or try not to get her feathers wet. A vet might be necessary to get a diagnosis.

I have had 2 hens with limps. One limped for 6 weeks, and then got better. The other limped for 2 years, then died, and I think she may have had a spiral fracture.

My vet is coming out on Feb 6th to do annual vaccinations and Coggins for my horses and goats. If she doesn't improve by then, I will have the vet look at her.

Since she is indoors for now, I will try to soak her later this afternoon. The sunroom where she is staying is HVAC heated. I also have a heat lamp and warm mist humidifier running out there for my plants so it is pretty warm right now.

I like to keep my chickens inside the coop inside a wire dog crate with food/water, with the other chickens, since it can make it harder for them to be reintegrated if they are gone for more than a couple of days.

I like to keep my chickens inside the coop inside a wire dog crate with food/water, with the other chickens, since it can make it harder for them to be reintegrated if they are gone for more than a couple of days.

I moved the dog crate out to the coop since this might be a lengthy recovery. She seems very agitated that she can see the rest of the flock outside but can't join them. Hopefully she will settle down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom